Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

REVIEW: The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica Sorenson


"There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.                                       
Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.
For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.
Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.
(New Adult Contemporary) **Mature Content** 
Recommended for ages 17+ due to sexual situations and language."
Can two broken people save eachother?  For Callie and Kayden I think they can.  I think that they are the best therapy for one another. I loved them seperately and I loved them even more together. I also adored Seth.  What a great guy who rose above his own hurdles and set out to help someone else do the same.  Everyone needs a Seth in their corner! Seth pushed and pushed Callie to try to live and experience things.  If it weren't for him she would be sitting in her dorm room day after day.
One of the most disturbing parts of the story for me are their mothers.  Being in denial or choosing not to face certain issues when it comes to your children is heartbreaking.  I felt like both were avoiding things that were staring them in the face.  It made me sad and I wouldn't have blamed Callie and Kayden if they just took off.  Both characters were crying out for help and they had no one.  Although for Kayden it looked like he had everything. And he hid as much as he could, even his feelings.  Callie had so much courage and by the end i was so proud of her.
The ending of this book is amazing and I cannot wait for the second story!  I want so much for them.  Callie and Kayden will stick with me for awhile, I'm sure.  Beautiful story!
xo, D
Ah! I LOVED this one! This is definitely not just a sweet, sappy love story about 2 people you never expect to get together. There is a lot of depth to it and I loved that! It wasn't rushed in any manner, but it didn't drag on. There was a great balance in all aspects of the book.
Callie. Oh sweet Callie. I loved her and my heart absolutely broke for her. I wanted to kick her brother right in his jaw for how he treated her. I wanted to shake her mom for appearing to just avoid the fact that something was going on with her daughter. While it seemed like her parents genuinely loved her, the mother was just so blind to her own daughter. I felt like the dad did the best he could in trying to bring life back to his daughter. I was so glad she found a friend like Seth. Their friendship and relationship was perfect. He provided her with enough support to be able to push her when she needed it and was there to hold her when life was too much.
Kayden. Ahhh Kayden. What a perfect example of of how the cycle of abuse manifests itself. His mom was in so much denial and I could have killed her. I do not understand how a mother can ignore what happened in that house, but it is so typical. The author hinted at ways that Kayden escapes the pain and I'm eager to see if she elaborates on that in the next book. He was such a genuinely good guy. I really enjoyed watching him grow and develop as a character.
The ending had me holding my breath, for sure. It was a genius ending to an amazing story. I cannot wait to see what happens in the next book! Callie & Kayden deserve a happily ever after with all they have been through!
{em}

No comments:

Post a Comment