Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

REVIEW: Rock the Heart by Michelle A. Valentine

"For the last four years, good girl Lane has regretted breaking up with Noel Falcon. She thought she was sensible when she told him his dreams of being a rock star would get him nowhere, but now that he's a rock god and her career is stagnant, she realizes just how wrong she was. When Noel hires the marketing company where Lane is an intern, she’s forced to see him again. If she wants to land her dream job as executive within the company, she has to win him over and secure his account. Too bad Noel is still pissed at her for breaking his heart.

When Lane’s company flies her to a Black Falcon concert to gain Noel’s attention, emotions run high the moment she sees him and realizes she’s far from over him. But Noel’s countless trysts with groupies and his cocky attitude make Lane believe he isn’t the same guy she once loved—now he seems to only want her body. Then after Lane discloses she needs him to procure a job, Noel proves he’s a changed man by forcing her to go on the road with him in order to get it.

After Lane reluctantly takes Noel up on his offer, she becomes willing to do whatever it takes to keep him satisfied, even if it means succumbing to his seductive ways. Lane soon finds deception is a dangerous game and she’s not the only one playing."


Ahhh! Where to start with this one? I really really really liked it! Before I got it, I hadn't heard much about this one. I'm not sure what rock I was living under because I look back and see that there were mentions about it all over the place. I'm so glad I took the chance on this book! I figured it was an all around win since it was about a tattooed rocker reconnecting with an old flame... all of which are usually winners in my mind! 

And then I started the book. Instantly I associated Noel with Adam Levine, so it was clearly love. (I may or may not have a slight obsession with that guy. And I may have informed my husband twice a week while The Voice was on that it was "date time" with my boyfriend... and if he showed up at our house, I'd really have to reconsider those vows. Don't judge me.). Noel is the typical rockstar. He loves the attention and what this life has offered to him. However, with what this lifestyle has given him, it also took the most amazing thing he had. Seeing an opportunity to revisit that part of his life, he jumps on it. I loved Noel's confidence, his passion, and his drive. He had this tender side to him and it's no wonder Lanie was in love with him. Obviously he isn't perfect and you really want to be angry with him, but his justification for his behavior makes that anger subside a little. Overall, I absolutely adored Noel. Ok, whatever. I loved him.

Lanie. Lanie, Lanie, Lanie. There were so many times I wanted to punch her in her teeth! She sounded like a beautiful, smart, and driven girl; but she showed so much of her insecurities! Sometimes it was as if she just wanted Noel to build her up. Overall, I loved her and I think a lot of her insecurity had to do with her age and lack of life experience. So frustrating as it was, it was a perfect part of the story. By the end of the story (despite the fact that it is a short period of time), I felt like she had grown in to herself a bit. She gained confidence in her abilities with her job as well as in herself. 


All of the supporting characters were awesome! The brought a new depth to the relationships and the storyline. Riff and his antics made me laugh... he and Aubrey are going to be a fabulous pair in book 2! Tyke and Trip always shocked me in what they would do or say next. I hope we get more of those crazy twins in the next ones!

So rock on, Michelle Valentine! This tattoo & rocker loving girl is ready for some more!
{em}

No comments:

Post a Comment