Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

REVIEW: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

"Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies...
That's what Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she's never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past she wishes could just stay buried. 
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he's nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn't at all who he's been claiming to be. When the secrets he's been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky's life will change forever."

So, to say that D and I both loved this book would be an understatement. It.was.amazing. It addressed some VERY intense situations and showed some very intense emotions. Colleen  wasn't afraid to make a disaster out of things, but it was so well put together that it worked. It more than worked. It created a situation that left you breathless. When things start unfolding, your initial reaction is to get mad because some things are unforgivable. But then everything comes out and you are left to think through things. Sometimes your gut reaction is wrong. You realize that sometimes a behavior is wrong, but the intention is right and it may just go ahead and excuse their decision. I've recommended this book to everyone I know because I've had to talk through it. If you want a light, cute read, this isn't the book for that. If you want a book that is going to make you think, fall in love, get mad, and leave an impression on you? This book is just the one. I guarantee that by the end of the book, you will fall in love with each character. There will be times when you want to be angry with each of them, but by the end, you love them all again. And I'm pretty sure that I need a Holder in my life. That boy is swoon-worthy. Definitely 5/5 stars for me. {em}


D & I both felt the need to talk through this book, so here is our discussion as we reviewed the book and sorted our emotions!

D: Ok. I’m ready for our discussion. I highlighted a bit.

E: Oh gosh. I think I highlighted more in this book than I ever have. This is going to be hard to do without any spoilers.

E: my favorite quote: "All marriages have a time limit if you enter them for the wrong reasons. Marriage doesn't get easier...it only gets harder. if you marry someone hoping it will improve things, you might as well set your timer the second you say, 'I do.'"

D: here’s mine: " you can hold my hand, you can run your fingers thru my hair, you can straddle me while i feed you spaghetti, but you are not getting kissed tonight. and probably not tomorrow either."

E: or "I need one of those chapter breaks. I just want to catch my breath, but I have no idea how." or "And once again in my new world full of heartache and lies, this hopeless boy somehow finds a way to make me smile."

E: I.love.Holder.

LOVE him. I love how he was SUCH a teenage boy but at the same time he had experienced so much in his life already that he was loyal, and romantic, and fiercely protective.

D: At first Sky killed me with how embarrassing some of the things she said were. Let me think, when she said about kissing him, about being a virgin. She would just blurt out these things at random times.

E: Yea. She was kinda random, but I think it added to her personality AND her sheltered life.

D: Oh yeah. Definitely! I loved when Six was impressed that "bitches made it rain in her locker" on day 1. Lol.

E: I love that Six’s name is actually Seven.

D: OH OH, here's another " fuck all the firsts Sky, The only thing that matters are the forevers"
SWOON
yes, I love Six
Speaking of Six, I'm still really disappointed how she was just removed from the story and i thought it was interesting that Sky {insert spoiler}

 E: OMG. I loved that one. I have it highlighted, too. Loved the reference to Sea of Tranquility in the book, too.

D: YES! (but you didn't get that right away?) lol

E: I knew it was a book I had read, I just couldn’t place which one. I’m an idiot. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE when books reference other books

D: it shows that the authors are either besties or fans or both!

 E: Ok. So I loved how there were SUCH intense things that happened in this book. And you fell in love with all of the characters that even when you WANTED to hate them or be pissed at them, you couldn't

 D: I love that {Colleen Hoover} wasn't afraid to make it a mess. Then it was neatly wrapped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment