Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

REVIEW: The Dark Duet Series by C.J. Roberts

This stunning series is like nothing I have read before!  C.J. Roberts is a true genius!

Captive in the Dark (Book 1 of the Dark Duet)
"Caleb is a man with a singular interest in
revenge. Kidnapped as a young boy and sold into slavery by a power-hungry
mobster, he has thought of nothing but vengeance. For twelve years he has
immersed himself in the world of pleasure slaves searching for the one man he
holds ultimately responsible. Finally, the architect of his suffering has
emerged with a new identity, but not a new nature. If Caleb is to get close
enough to strike, he must become the very thing he abhors and kidnap a beautiful
girl to train her to be all that he once was.
Eighteen-year-old Olivia
Ruiz has just woken up in a strange place. Blindfolded and bound, there is only
a calm male voice to welcome her. His name is Caleb, though he demands to be
called Master. Olivia is young, beautiful, naïve and willful to a fault. She has
a dark sensuality that cannot be hidden or denied, though she tries to
accomplish both. Although she is frightened by the strong, sadistic, and
arrogant man who holds her prisoner, what keeps Olivia awake in the dark is her
unwelcome attraction to him."
WARNING: This book contains very disturbing
situations, dubious consent, strong language, and graphic violence.

Let me start this review of Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts saying that I was not ready for what I was about to experience.  Book 1 is an introduction into Caleb's world.  The first half of this, at times, was difficult to keep reading. (I remember squinting my eyes shut and peeking out at my Kindle, like it would help me get though it!!!) Human traffiking and slavery is not an easy subject to touch but C.J. Roberts did it in a way that kept me reading and glued to this novel!  My emotions were very conflicted, I wanted to hate Caleb, I knew what he was doing was wrong, but I felt for him at times and even found him sexy :gasp:.

Livvie, poor poor Livvie.  I just kept thinking, she didn't ask for this!  But it was a way out for her and her own crappy life.  Not that this one was better, but it was different.  I agreed with most of the choices she made.  She ended up being very brave, especially for someone so young!

The climax of the novel is exciting and gruesome, it sealed the deal for me!  Got me hooked and wanting more, more, more!  I couldn't wait to start book 2 immediately and I did!  I definitely don't recommend this for all readers but if you are open minded and can get through this tough novel you will be rewarded with book 2 (about to touch on that one next).


Seduced in the Dark (Book 2 of the Dark Duet)  
"What is the price of redemption?
Rescued from
sexual slavery by a mysterious Pakistani officer, Caleb carries the weight of a
debt that must be paid in blood.
The road has been long and fraught with
uncertainty, but for Caleb and Livvie, it’s all coming to an end.
Can he
surrender the woman he loves for the sake of vengeance?
Or will he make
the ultimate sacrifice?"

The moment I started this novel, I knew it was going to be different than anything I've ever read!  It immediately hits you with shocking information and hooks you and never lets go!  C.J. Roberts has this novel broken down in chapters from the present, chapters from the past and several different points of view!  And she did it seamlessly! I never wanted to stop reading. I like that it kept my mind sharp and  paying attention.  I think I ignored everyone around me and I know I stayed up long hours each night.
Livvie reveals it all to us in this novel.  She doesn't leave anything to question.  Yes, being inside her head is a bit of a mindfuck but it's necessary so you can empathize with her, become her, feel her!  I did all of those things.  I think I had a case of Stockholm syndrome myself!

The stories of Caleb's past and his world all through the present were eye opening to me.  I know that this exists but it's hard to imagine in this day and age.  I kept questioning whether someone like him is born that way or was he a true product of his environment.  All of that aside, I fell in love with him and wanted a Happy Ending, eventhough he did not.

The ending was so much more gentle than I ever expected.  I think I had tears rolling down my face for the last 25%.  I can't really explain why because I don't want to give anything away, but it really touched me in a unique way.  I will add that the sex in this novel is scorching hot! And the balance between Dominant and 'regular' scenes was perfect!

This isn't a series that you recommend to everyone, because not everyone is ready to experience this.  You all know that you have that one friend (C, yes, it's you! Heart you babe) that you can share this with.  And you'll have to because you will need to discuss this!!!!  After this series, I was ruined for the next couple of novels that I read.  They paled in comparison.  C.J. Roberts you are a genius!  Thank you for this amazing experience!!!

xo, D

No comments:

Post a Comment