Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

REVIEW: Wallbanger by Alice Clayton

"Caroline Reynolds has a fantastic new apartment in San Francisco, a KitchenAid mixer, and no O (and we’re not talking Oprah here, folks). She has a flourishing design career, an office overlooking the bay, a killer zucchini bread recipe, and no O. She has Clive (the best cat ever), great friends, a great rack, and no O.
Adding insult to O-less, since her move, she has an oversexed neighbor with the loudest late-night wallbanging she’s ever heard. Each moan, spank, and–was that a meow?–punctuates the fact that not only is she losing sleep, she still has, yep, you guessed it, no O.
Enter Simon Parker. (No, really, Simon, please enter.) When the wallbanging threatens to literally bounce her out of bed, Caroline, clad in sexual frustration and a pink baby-doll nightie, confronts her heard-but-never-seen neighbor. Their late-night hallway encounter has, well, mixed results. Ahem. With walls this thin, the tension’s gonna be thick…
In her third novel, Alice Clayton returns to dish her trademark mix of silly and steamy. Banter, barbs, and strutting pussycats, plus the sexiest apple pie ever made, are dunked in a hot tub and set against the gorgeous San Francisco skyline in this hot and hilarious tale of exasperation at first sight."

This book was such a treat! In so many ways it satisfied me. Alice Clayton's writing style, wit, humor, and raunchiness fits me to a T. I think I have a writer's crush on Ms. Clayton, she is definitely at the top of my list of writers! The chapters of texts and inner monologue were genius! It was a great way to reveal what happened over a week's time without getting bored or feel like you missed something. You made me fall in love with a cat! A cat! (I'm generally not a fan)

Caroline was fabulous. I felt at times, I was her. Her thoughts and her language resemble mine. Her banter with Simon, yep, that's me and the hubs. Her dirty talk, guilty! I LOVED her!!!
Simon, holy hell. I really can't properly put into words how I truly feel about him, for him. He can bang my wall any day ;) The way he loved her baked goods was hilarious and the kitchen sex scenes were original and fun. I also like a man who loves a challenge ;)
Clive, what a freaking character. A smoking jacket, a q-tip cigarette, falling in love with the Russian. Hilarious.

Even the storyline of the secondary characters was entertaining and well thought out. I would love to read more on the other couples.

I loved how many pages of gorgeous description the love scenes had. Nothing was rushed or assumed, it was all spelled out and a beautiful picture was painted. In my opinion, this is one of Alice Clayton's fortes. Such a great novel! Keep them coming Alice Clayton!!!
xo, D


Ah. I loved this book! A friend and I had gone to the bookstore for a "reading date" (don't be jealous of how cool we are) and that's where I started this fabulous read. We were laughing SO HARD. I was kinda scared we'd be getting glares pretty soon. Tears rolling down my cheeks type of laughter. The next day at work, I was reading while I ate my breakfast and read parts to my boss. I needed him to understand that I wasn't a lunatic laughing all by myself. Needless to say, I have already recommended this one to several people because I loved it so much.

Caroline... who couldn't love her and her missing O?  Her character is who I want to be. She says all of the things I think. She was strong and independent, but wasn't nutso. She was absolutely hysterical, as well. I loved her friendships and her dedication to them. I loved her sense of dedication to what she believed in - you know, like people being in the right relationships.

Simon. Please. PLEASE bang my wall, man. I loved that he didn't try to hide from Caroline. He loved her baking and we ALL knew it. I loved the way he was so open about how things were and why he did what he did. It was what it was and he told it that way.

The text messaging and inner dialogue was fantastic. It gave you insight in to how they were all connected and where their relationships were. It helped to move the story along, give you insight, but not make it drag. Fabulous!

Now Clive. I hate cats. I hate them with the passion of a thousand burning suns. It doesn't help that I got freakin' attacked by one Clive on Simon style when I was like 4 (except it wasn't during sex, obviously) and that I am VERY allergic to them. But then there is Clive. Clive really made me laugh. He almost made me want to get a cat myself.

I'd say this book is 5 out 5 stars. I am really hoping there will be a sequel because I NEED more Simon and Caroline.

~Em

No comments:

Post a Comment